ca. 705: Diocese of Sherbourne founded by St. Aldhelm, Abbot of Malmesbury.
1070: Motte-and-bailey castle built at Old Sarum.
Old Sarum Cathedral
1075: Council of London names Hereman of Wilton Bishop of Sarisberie, uniting the former sees of Sherbourne and Ramsbury into a single diocese. The first cathedral was begun shortly thereafter.
1078: Osmund succeeds Hereman as Bishop of Sarum.
1086, August 1: Domesday Book presented to William I at Old Sarum Castle.
ca. 1089: Cathedral Chapter of 36 canons established.
1092, Tuesday, April 5: First cathedral consecrated.
1099, Dec. 3: Death of Osmund.
Early 12th century
Four principal dignitaries, Dean, Precentor, Chancellor, and Treasurer, established.
ca 1120: Enlargement of the first cathedral completed.
1122: Bishop Roger gives up the title of Abbot of Sherbourne; Prior Thurstan becomes the First Abbot of Sherbourne (as well as a Canon of Salisbury).
ca. 1130s: Bishop Roger extends the transepts and eastern the eastern arm of the first cathedral.
ca. 1150: Bishop Jocelin de Bohon obtains permission from Archbishop Theobald to move the Feast of Relics to September 15.
ca. 1150-70: Bishop Jocelin builds a new residence and cloister to the north of the cathedral, expands the canons to at least 42.
1184, November 18: Death of Bishop Jocelin.
1194, June 12: Bishop Herbert Poore enthroned at Old Sarum.
ca. 1197-99: Plans begin to be made for the new cathedral and town.
Early 13th century: Dean Richard Poore develops plans for the new cathedral and liturgical practices and customs and ‘Ordinale’ of Sarum.
1208, March 23: England placed under interdict by Pope Innocent III.
1214: Interdict lifted.
1215: Fourth Lateran Council
1217: January 7: Bishop Herbert Poore dies.
1217, June: Richard Poore elected Bishop.
1218, March 29: Pope Honorius III formally approves the removal of the cathedral to New Sarum (Salisbury).
The New Cathedral at Salisbury
1219: April 8: Temporary wooden chapel constructed at the new site, consecrated on Trinity Sunday, June 2, 1219. The churchyard was dedicated on the same day.
1219, November 1: Official transmigration of the cathedral body to the new site.
1220, Tuesday, April 28: Foundation stones of new cathedral laid.
1225, Sunday September 28: The three eastern altars dedicated.
1225, Monday, September 29: Cardinal Stephen Langton, Archbishop of Canterbury preaches and celebrates mass at the new altar.
1225, Thursday, October 2: Visit by King Henry III.
1226, Sunday June 14: Coffins of Osmund, Roger, and Jocelin translated from Old Sarum to the new cathedral on Trinity Sunday.
1228, May: Bishop Richard Poore appointed to Durham Cathedral.
ca. 1236: Choir stalls and pulpitum erected.
1244-45: Commencement of services in the new choir and presbytery.
13th c. — Spread of Sarum Use to other dioceses, including Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
13th c. Principal historical Sarum manuscripts.
1246: Salisbury adopts the feast of the Deposition of St. Edmund, Archbishop, displacing Ss. Primus and Felician. (Edmund had been Treasurer of Salisbury Cathedral, 1222-34).
1247: Salisbury adopts the feast of the Translation of S. Edmund, Archbishop.
1240s: Completion of the treasury and muniment room.
1250s: Completion of the west front.
1258, Sunday September 29: Salisbury Cathedral consecrated by Archbishop Boniface , in the presence of Henry III, Queen Eleanor, Princes Edward and Edmund, and many other dignitaries.
1260-62?: Feast of St. Richard of Chichester adopted.
1263: Chapter House completed.
1264: Salisbury adopts the Feast of Corpus Christi–although its celebration as a feast may have been as late as 1317.
c. 1265: Cloister completed.
1319: Feast of Relics moved from September 15 to May, following the Translation of St. Thomas of Canterbury.
1320-30: Spire completed.
by 1325: Saum Use very widespread throughout the province of Canterbury, Hereford excepted.
1327-31: Close wall built with stone from the ruins of Old Sarum.
[1337: Grandisson, Ordinale (Exeter).)
by 1350: Sarum Use almost completely introduced throughout the province of Canterbury, Hereford excepted.
1350-1400: the’New Ordinal’ introduced.
1365-75: John Wycliffe’s tracts attacking the Sarum Ordinal.
1378: Feast of St. Anne introduced into England. (Frere: 1383?).
ca. 1390: Exeter adopts the Sarum Ordinal (Pfaff 2009:411).
1414-15: Diocese of London adopts Sarum Use.
1415: Sts. David, Chad, and Winifred added to the Sanctorale.
before 1450: Clement Maydeston, Directorium sacerdotum.
1452: New campaign for the canonization of Blessed Osmund begun.
1456: Feast of the Transfiguration adopted. (1480?)
1456-57: St Osmund canonized (Jan. 1 1457) by Pope Callistus III; Feast of St. Osmund, and Feast of Translation added.
1457, Thursday, July 16: Translation of St. Osmund to a new shrine. Some believe that the shrine was located in the centre of the Trinity Chapel. I believe that it was located in the easternmost bay of the presbytery, behind the high altar.
1457: Feast of the Name of Jesus added. (1480?)
ca. 1475: First Sarum Breviary printed.
1477: Caxton’s Ordinal fragments.
1479-80: Lierne vault of the central crossing installed.
1480: Feast of the Visitation added.
1486: First Sarum Missal printed (Basel: Michael Wennsler).
1508: First Sarum Gradual Printed.
1518: First Sarum Hymnal printed.
1519-20: Only Sarum Antiphonale printed.
ca. 1520: Bishop Audley Chapel, with Easter Sepulchre, built to the north of the high altar.
1523: All dedication feasts in the City of London transferred to October 3.
1534: Act of Supremacy.
1536-: Dissolution of monasteries; by an Act of Convocation, the first Sunday in October was appointed as the Feast of Dedication for all churches, in lieu of the feast of the patron saint of which each particular church was dedicated. This Act is has been disregarded since at least 1841.
1538: Destruction of shrines sanctioned by Henry VIII. The Feasts of the Invention of the Cross and the Exaltation of the Cross abrogated.
1539: An organ placed on the pulpitum screen at Salisbury Cathedral.
1542: Sarum Use adopted throughout the Southern Province of the English Church.
1545: Official reformed Primer (King’s Primer) published (all others banned).
1549, Whitsunday: First Prayer Book of Edward VI. (Sarum Use abolished).
1553: Sarum Use re-established.
1559: Sarum Use abolished, replaced by the Book of Common Prayer.
1615: Missae aliquot pro sacerdotibus itinerantibus in Anglia (1615):110 includes a votive mass ‘ex missale secundum usum Sarum’. (See also Missale parvum pro Sacerdotibus in Anglia, Scotia, et Ibernia itinerantibus.)
1627: John Cosin, A Collection of Private Devotions (incorporating some parts of the hours of prayer)
1643: Organ removed from Salisbury Cathedral.
1648: Dean and Chapter abolished at Salisbury Cathedral.
1660: Dean and Chapter restored at Salisbury Cathedral.
1661: Thomas Harris Organ restored at Salisbury Cathedral.
1671-72: Choir refurbished at Salisbury Cathedral.
1685-88: ‘I have heard (but cannot verify the statement) that in James II’s reign many priests did restore and use the Sarum rite.’, Adrian Fortescue, the Mass: A Study of the Roman Liturgy (London: Longmans, Green and Co, 1914):207.
1710: New Renatus Harris organ installed at Salisbury Cathedral.
1777-79: Salisbury Cathedral closed for repairs.
1781: New high east window installed ‘Moses and the Brazen Serpent’ at Salisbury Cathedral.
1789-90: renovations to Salisbury Cathedral, including removal of the old pulpitum, erection of a new one to support the new organ, and demolition of the bell tower by James Wyatt. (Cathedral closed for 3 years, until September, 1792).
1836: John Henry Newman, ‘The Roman Breviary as Embodying the Substance of the Devotional Services of the Catholic Church’ (Tracts for the Times)
1842-43: Portiforii Sarum (Seager).
1846: The Ancient Liturgy of the Church of England; Monumenta Ritualia Ecclesiae Anglicanae. (Maskell).
1849-54: The Church of our Fathers (Rock).
1850: The Psalter Noted (A Manual of Plainsong) Helmore.
1851: Hymnarium Sarisburiense; The Hymnal Noted (Neale).
1852: The Psalter (Chambers); Medieval Hymns and Sequences (Neale).
1861: Hymns Ancient and Modern.
1861-83: Missale Sarum (ed. Dickinson).
1862-1878: extensive restoration of the cathedral by G. G. Scott.
1874: Breviary Offices (Neale).
1877: New Willis organ; Divine Worship in England (Chambers).
1879-86: Breviarium Sarisburiense (Procter and Wordsworth).
1882: Processionale Sarum (Henderson).
1884: The Sarum Missal in English (Pearson).
1894: Graduale Sarisburiense facsimile.
1898-1901: The Use of Sarum (Frere).
ca. 1900-1930: Palmer editions of the Sarum Use in English.
1901: Ceremonies and Processions (Wordsworth).
1901-24: Antiphonale Sarisburiense facsimile.
1906: The English Hymnal.
1911: The Sarum Missal in English (Warren).
1912-13: Old Sarum Cathedral foundations excavated.
1916: The Sarum Missal (Legg).
1971: The Processions of Sarum (Bailey).
1984-99: The Use of Salisbury (Sandon).
2006-: The Sarum Rite (Renwick).
2008: New font installed in Salisbury Cathedral (located several bays to the east of the original font).
2011-13: The Sarum Customary Online (Harper).
2015-18: Sarum Ordinale, BL Harley 1001 (Hackney)
2018-: The Sarum Rite in book form (Renwick)